We all want that toned and sexy tummy, especially when it’s getting close to putting on those new swimmers. Many things contribute to a not so flat tum, including a poor diet, lack of exercise and simply not knowing how to go from flab to fab. So if you’re not beach season ready, then let me be your guide to tone up, shred and flatten that ever troublesome tummy.
For many of us weight gain is a cause of simply not exercising enough, we are juggling so much at once that we can “never find the time”, but it’s not really about finding the time it’s about making the time. Prioritise your life so you can get at least 30mins of exercise, 5 days a week working up to roughly 60mins, 5 days a week. Start out slow and simple, and before you know it you will find that you will actually be looking forward to your daily exercise.
Best exercises for a flat tummy
OK so we have made time for exercise, but what are we actually meant to be doing? Cardio, weights and tummy target exercises are now your best friend. Follow this routine!
- Cardio, cardio, cardio. Aim for 20-40mins of cardio 5 days a week. This can include walking, jogging, running, cycling, boxing, cardio classes and so much more, anything that gets your heart going will really improve your general health and will defiantly start shredding that fat right off your middle section.
- Resistance/weight training- by combing resistance training and cardio will be the most effective way of trimming your waistline. Weight and resistance training really engages your core, which effectively starts to strengthen and tone your tummy muscles. Bonus, the more muscle you have the faster your body can shred off fat, this means you will be strong, toned and ready for summer. Aim for 5 days a week for 30-45mins of resistance training, split your body up into the five days to allow your muscles to rest and repair, example legs and butt, biceps and triceps, chest and shoulders, back and core.
- Target that tummy- Exercises that target your core are going to start to strengthen your muscles, help you to loose fat and get you that 6pack you only dreamed of. Try these tummy blasting exercises :
- Oblique twists
- Sit ups
- Bicycle crunches
- Stability ball exercises
Stress is something everybody gets once in a while and it can really put a halt to reaching our goals, it releases a hormone called cortisol into our blood stream, which is helpful when it comes to getting things done by a deadline or when we are running from a dinosaur, but how many dinosaurs are out there anyway? But too much cortisol can lead to extra storage of fat, especially around our waistlines. It can also lead to anxiety and depression which can cause us to crave more unhealthy comfort foods and to binge eat. Try lowering your stress levels with deep breathing, mindfulness, mediation and yoga.
You know that unhealthy eating causes weight gain, yet still so many of us are engaging in poor eating habits. To really get that lean waist you’re going to have to ditch the junk food and focus on eating right. Swap out white breads and pastas for wholegrain options, eat healthy fats like avocado and salmon, eat at least 2 serves of fresh fruit and 5 serves of fresh vegies a day, add legumes and beans to your main meals, limit your dairy intake or swap it for low fat versions, eat white meat without the skin and consume lean red meat 1-2 times a week only. To really get your tummy flat try having 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day and add a source of protein to every meal this can be fish, chicken breast, eggs protein shakes and nuts. By focusing on putting whole foods into your body instead of fatty convenient and junk foods you will not only see faster results you will also reduce your risk of diabetes, heart disease and even cancer.
A good way to speed up fat loss from your mid-section is try a supplement or two. Here are my top supplements for getting a flat tummy:
- A thermogenic- Thermogenic are fat burning supplements that will lower your appetite, increase your energy and speed up the process of burning fat. They come in a pill or powder form and are usually taking in the mornings.
- Protein- protein is the building blocks of muscle, and remember that more muscle means faster fat loss. So if are yet to see your abs then get a good protein shake and drink it after your workouts, this will drench your muscles with the protein they need to grow and repair.
Simple lifestyle changes and good supplements can really bring your flat tummy dreams to life. Remember, get moving, eat right and stress less, and before you know it you will be kicking it at the beach with a banging bod!