Chicken wings, lunch lady arms, jiggly bits, you know what I’m talking about, those flabby, flappy arms. Obesity, weight loss, age and genetics can all cause those unrelenting flabby arms but good news is you can get rid of them, it will take work but if you’re sick of the flab them this is your best bet to feeling fab!
From flab to fab
As I mentioned we need to work for those sexy arms, we need to include arm toning exercises, cardio and diet but trust me you will gain back your self-confidence and feel great for it.
Step 1: Toning
To get those arms into shape then you need to start with some toning and strengthening exercises. For flabby arms we will mainly target the Tricep muscle of the arms. The Tricep is at the back side of the arms and is where the wings start to form. Choose 3-4 exercises and aim to perform 3-4 sets of 8 reps of each exercise.
- Pushups- Pushups will target your Tricep muscle in your arm, plus they will target your pecs, abs, quads and lower back, creating an excellent all-rounder exercise. To perform a push up start by lying on your stomach, hands shoulder width apart at chest height; you can rise up on your toes or for beginners start on bent knees and work up to your toes. Push up with your arms keeping your body in a straight line and then slowly come back down without touching the floor, this is one rep!
- Tricep dips- these are another tricep targeting exercise. To perform sit on the edge of a bench or chair with your legs stretched out in front of you, grip the edge on the bench with your hands and slide your body off, now using your arms, lower your body toward the floor without touching it then using your arms again, bring yourself back up. This is one rep. to make it easier you can bring your legs closer and bend them or to make it harder prop your feet on another bench.
- Bicep curls- these are a basic arm strengthening exercise which will help you to look great in a singlet. To perform these you will need two dumbbells, stand with feet hip width apart and have a dumbbell in each hand resting at your sides. Next keep your elbows at your hips and raise the dumbbells up to your chest, hold a second and lower, this is one rep. as this gets easier up your weights. You can also perform single bicep curls or alternating curls.
- Tricep kickbacks- yet another tricep targeting exercise. Lean with arm and one leg longways on a bench and hold a dumbbell in your free hand. Keep a straight back and hold your elbow to you hip and your arm at a right angle. Now extend your arm backward keeping your elbow at the hip and return the arm. This is one rep, repeat 8 times then do the other side.
- Tricep extensions- standing with feet hip width apart hold a dumbbell in both hands and raise it above your head. Now keeping your elbows up, bend both arms backward behind your head and bring them back up. This is one rep.
Step 2: Cardio
To really see results we need to combine both weight training and cardio. Choice your weapon of choice whether it be treadmill, jogging, biking, swimming whatever just something that’s going to get your heart going. You need to do cardio for at least 30mins, 3 times a week. This will ensure those arms really shred off.
Step 3: Diet
There is absolutely no point in trying training and working hard if you’re just going to sabotage yourself with poor food choices. I’m not saying you have to cut out all your favourite foods but you do need to look at your diet. Try limiting the amount of processed foods you consume and eat plenty of fresh foods. Swap white bread for wholegrain, eat fruit and vegies and add protein to every meal. Here is a sample meal plan:
- Breakfast- 2 eggs, whole meal toast, avocado
- Snack 1- fruit salad/piece of fruit, protein shake
- Lunch- garden salad, chicken breast/tuna/turkey
- Snack 2- rice cakes with peanut butter
- Dinner- brown rice/sweet potato/pasta, chicken breast/turkey/lean meat, steamed vegies
Goodbye saggy arms
So really to get rid of those flabby arms you only need to make a few simple healthy lifestyle changes and your well on your way. Plan your meals, decide on an exercise routine and stick it. It’s time to say goodbye to those bingo wings and hello to those tight, toned and fabulous arms!