Turns out certain fat cells are much happier to just stick around and can be extremely hard to loose, but not impossible. You know what I’m talking about, that stubborn belly fat that just won’t shift. Belly fat isn’t only unattractive; it’s also a major health concern. So pay attention, here is how you can finally reveal those washboard abs and safe your health.
There are many reasons why people put on fat around their belly’s some are obvious while some may surprise you. Read this list to suss out why your pooch is growing:
- Poor diet- eating too much refined sugars like soft drink, lollies, chocolate and eating too much refined grains like white bread and chips will increase inflammation within our bodies causing us to gain weight which usually settles in our tummy’s.
- Age- as we age our bodies become less resistant to insulin which consequently causes us to gain weight in our mid sections. Not only that but aging changes our hormones and metabolic rates which can all impact our figures.
- Stress- people don’t know this but stress; anxiety and depression can all cause excess fat storage especially around your tummies. Stress and anxiety raise cortisol levels which results in extra fat stores, while when we are depressed we tend to eat more, or more of the wrong foods to comfort ourselves.
- You’re not moving- if you’re not getting enough regular exercise then your body isn’t going to burn any fat is it. We need to burn more calories than we consume on a daily basis to actually see any real results of fat loss.
The type of fat that can accumulate around your abdomen is called visceral fat and it is some seriously nasty stuff, not only is it unsightly it is also covering and surrounding your organs which can lead to disease. Visceral fat can promote the production of stress hormones like cortisol and is also promotes an inflammatory response in the body which affects the body’s production of insulin. These two problems alone can increase your risk of type 2 diabetes, heart disease and even some cancers.
Our diets obviously play a big role in our body composition. Here are some tips to reduce that stubborn fat.
- Eating protein at every meal will reduce your belly from getting bigger and help to shred away that fat faster. Protein can protect against insulin resistance which promotes fat storage. Think chicken breast, eggs, lean meats, fish and whey protein shakes.
- Cut out refined sugars and grains- try switching anything white, like bread, pasta and rice to wholegrain. Also incorporate a variety of fruits and vegies into your diet. Wholegrains and natural foods are bursting with antioxidants which have anti-inflammatory properties which will actually allow you to lose weight.
- Limit alcohol- why do you think they call it a beer gut? Alcohol is high in calories so therefore it will make us gain weight. It also poisons our bodies causing an inflammatory response, adding more fat to our waistlines. I’m not saying cut it out I’m just saying drink in moderation.
The best forms of exercise to eliminate that stubborn belly fat are aerobic exercises coupled with weight training. Cardio alone will not eliminate that belly fat, turns out muscle is much better at burning calories then fat is so the more muscle we have the faster we burn fat. Aim to workout 5 days a week with two rest days that are apart from each other, incorporate cardio like jogging, running, swimming and biking with weight resistance training to really slim down that tum.
On the other hand stress releasing exercises like yoga can also promote fat loss around the belly region. The key is to lower your stress levels which effectively lower your cortisol levels; this means your body will stop storing fat in and around your mid-section.
If you’re not getting enough sleep the body starts to stress which produces more cortisol and more fat storage. Most adults need between 6-8 hours of quality sleep a night or they face the consequences, more stress, frustration, and feeling like crap and of course weight gain.
There are many supplements out there that will help you burn off that extra fat, supress your appetite and get you looking and feeling great again. Thermogenic fat burners are what you want to look for; these are my top 3 fat burners:
- Ping by Faster Nutrition
- Green Tea X50 by Tribeca Health
- Thermo XXX by Transcend Supplements
While stubborn belly fat may be a hard thing to lose it isn’t impossible. These simple adjustments to your lifestyle may be all you need to finally show off those abs!